It's Tuesday! With warmer weather bound to show up soon, I made Leah a little summer top!
I think I got the idea for this shirt at a store, but I can't remember where....
Here's the tutorial:
To make the pattern, I used a t-shirt that fit Leah:
I drew down the side, neck and shoulders. Then I folded the sleeve in for the armhole:
I straightened out the side, drew the length I wanted, added seam allowance just to the shoulder and side seams, and was left with this:
I also drew the lower neckline for the front (about 1" lower at center):
I wanted a back yoke, so I traced the pattern until about 3" from the shoulder. I drew a line straight across and then added seam allowance:
Then I traced the rest of the pattern piece and added seam allowance to the top:
Pattern pieces done:
Time to cut everything out!
I wanted 4 pleats in the back, so I cut the bottom back piece 1" from the fold:
Same for the front, 1" from fold for pleats:
Next, I cut the back yoke on the fold and also cut some 1 3/4" strips for bias tape (not shown):
I also cut a 2" by 19" piece for the ruffle and a 3/4" by 14" piece for the button tabs:
Time to mark pleats! For the back, first I marked the center. Then to the right from center, 1/4", 3/4", 1 1/4", and 1 3/4". Then repeated to the left.
For the front, I marked center, then 1", 1 1/2", 2", and 2 1/2" on both sides of center.
Looks kind of like that:
Then I matched the second mark to the third, and the fourth to the fifth on both sides of center. I sewed the pleats down about 4 1/2" in the front and about 1 1/2" in the back:
I cut 4 1/2" down the center for the opening:
Next, I sewed the back piece to the back yoke, finishing the seam and topstitching it:
and then around the neck:
We ran out this morning to grab some sunshine for some pictures!