So what was I working on when I wrote this post?
Well, let me start off by saying that my daughter is going to the Junior/Senior Banquet for their school this Saturday. It's a formal event, so she needed a dress to wear. Her bestest friend gave her a strapless dress that she had previously worn in a wedding. Strapless?? Not in this house! :) So, I had to make this prom type dress modest!
I am happy to reveal my latest project today!
Let's start with some before pictures!
A red strapless dress (sorry for the blurry pic!)
A red wrap was included.
OK, this dress needed straps! I knew that matching red satin could be very difficult, so I thought of other options. How about black? Red and black look great together! Just adding black straps wouldn't look right though. So I had to find a way to tie the whole look together!
I started with some black satin ribbon
and added it to the edge of the wrap.
I also added black satin ribbon to the top of the dress, sewn by machine except for the last few inches on both sides of the zipper which I sewed by hand.
Then I added straps!
The straps are made from black satin, 3" wide,
with two pleats at back and front. I sewed them carefully under the folded piece.
Next, I made flowers from the leftover black satin,
and had them cascade down the front, smaller to bigger.
Each flower is hand sewn on with 3 Swarovski crystal beads, to add a little sparkle!
Here's the dress finished.
I'm really happy with how it turned out! I spent less than $10 with the modifications and it looks beautiful on my daughter! I will post pictures of her wearing it later. :)
P.S. Modeling pictures can be found HERE.