Even though it's raining again today, I'm sure summer will be here soon! I decided to try making a romper for Josiah, and I'm really happy with how it turned out!
It was really easy to make, so I thought I would share the tutorial! Sorry if it's kinda picture heavy! :)
I wanted a raglan style for his romper, although a regular t-shirt style would have been just as cute! A great place to find the raglan style is to trace is a blanket sleeper!
I folded the sleeper in half and folded the sleeve out of the way to trace the neck and where the sleeve attaches.
I added seam allowance and drew the front neckline too.
I used a ruler to draw a straight line down from the shoulder seam.
Using either the blanket sleeper or an exisiting piece of clothing that fits (or measure your kiddo. Yeah, right...... haha!), match up the neckline and folded edge and draw the curve for inside the legs where the snaps are.
Then decide on the length of the legs and draw a straight line across.
Next, trace the sleeve edge where it attaches to the body. I usually mark the edge of the sleeve and fold my sleeve pattern along this line to trace the other side. It's easier than trying to flip the sleeve over, and you want both sides of the sleeve to be identical.
Add seam allowance and draw a straight line across at the length you want the sleeves to be.
Here's what my pattern pieces look like!
I used an old t-shirt for my romper, folding it down the front and back to cut out the pieces. I lined up the bottom edges of the romper and sleeves with the finished edges of the shirts to take advantage of the hems.
Here's the romper and sleeves cut out. (Front with lower neckline)
I cut out a gusset piece, following the lines of the curve of the back romper piece. I don't know how necessary this is for a disposable wearing baby, but my little guy is cloth diapered, so I figured it would help get the romper snapped over his fluffy bum! :)
With right sides together, I sewed the gusset onto the back piece.
I sewed three of the four seams to attach the sleeves, right sides together.
I measured half the neckline and doubled it. Mine was 15".Since I didn't have ribbing the right color, I just cut a strip out of the blue shirt to put around the neck. My blue shirt wasn't very stretchy so I made it longer than I would have cut from a stretchy one. My piece was about 13" by 2 1/2".
After folding the piece in half, wrong sides together, I sewed it to the neckline, stretching to fit.
I sewed up the last sleeve seam to finish the top of the romper!
Now is the easiest time to add an applique. I sewed on an airplane!
I cut some long strips from my old t-shirt, 2" tall. Since this shirt is quite stretchy both ways, I cut them to take advantage of the hemmed edge on one side.